Ordinary People Can Become Extraordinary Leaders
In a world filled with unlimited opportunities, how do we stand out amongst all of the rest?
Leadership can mean many things to many people, there are those who aspire to be “Leaders” and then there are those who choose to be “the ones who lead.” Leaders hold a position of power and authority, but those who lead are the ones who inspire, and who create the most change, not because they have to but because they want to.
Those who lead work from their heart, from what they are passionate about, and establish trust in those around them.
The older I get, the more experienced I become and the more I choose to be one who leads. I have learned that to do this, you must be adaptable, open to change and willing to learn.
Great leaders are ones who remain open and flexible in both their actions and their thinking.
Here are some proven ways to becoming a great leader.
Have a vision.
- Great leaders have a vision … They project and see into the future. A great vision will give you, and those around you, a clear idea of your
- One of the more important qualities of a great leader is courage. Having courage means that you are willing to take the risk to achieving your goals. Because nothing is a guaranteed and by choosing to do it anyway, you are paving the way for your success.
Never stop learning.
- No matter where you are in your career, there is always more to learn. Speaking as a coach, lack of knowledge is a great way to stunt your own development as a leader.
- When I ask people what makes a great leader, integrity is the most agreed upon trait of a great leader. The core of integrity is truthfulness. It requires you tell the truth to all people in every situation. Trustworthiness is the foundation of a success business.
- The definition for humility in a leadership role is the ability to be self-confidence and self-aware along with being able to recognize the value others have to offer without feeling threatened. This can be a rare trait for good leaders because it requires the evaluation of one’s ego. The ability to recognize that you may not have all of the answers and that you are willing to learn from others is a reflection of a great leader.
Goals and Strategic Planning.
- One of the more important leadership strengths is the ability to set goals and then create a strategic plan. Great leaders have the ability to look ahead and project future outcomes by industry and marketing trends. Based on what’s happening today, where do you want to be in 6, 12, 24 months from on?
“Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them. – Jack Canfield
- Leaders focus on results not failures. They focus on their strength no their weaknesses. Leaders have the ability to bring people together to focus on what’s important, what deadlines needs to be met and to make everything run smoothly.
Be a Great Communicator.
- Communication is key and the ability to speak clearly, effectively and persuasively is an important trait. Many feel fear around having to speak in public, however, overcoming this fear makes good leaders, great!
- Living your life on purpose is the best way to create the life that you desire. A great leader, leads on purpose, leads with their heart, and leads others in the right direction.